A number of important changes to employment law come into operation in April 2017.
National minimum wage increases
From 1 April 2017, new national minimum wage rates come into operation. These are as follows:-
- For those aged 25 or over, £7.50 per hour.
- For those between 21 and 24, £7.05 per hour.
- For those between 18 and 20, £5.60 per hour.
- For those under 18, £4.05 per hour.
- For apprentices, £3.50 per hour.
From 6 April 2017, all employers with an annual wage bil of £3million or more will be required to pay an apprenticeship levy of 0.5% of their wage bill.
Gender pay gap reporting
From 6 April 2017, reporting on gender pay gap will be compulsory for private sector and voluntary organisations employing 250 or more people